Today, I decided to have my students start writing This I Believe essays. As usual, there was moaning and groaning, but I told them that these essays are so different from the other essays they've written before. I showed them two examples: "Be Cool To The Pizza Delivery Dude" by an English teacher named Sarah Adams and "Thirty Things I Believe" by 7 year old Tarak McLain. This is the first year I've used the Thirty Things essay, because I just found it, and I'm really glad I did. After we read the essay, I asked the students to write 30 things they believe. I also wrote 30 things I believe. And here they are:
1. I believe everyone has the ability to be creative.
2. I believe we are stronger than we realize.
3. I believe every person I meet has something to teach me.
4. I believe if more people would read, they would suffer less.
5. I believe you have to support those you love in their dreams.
6. I believe you have to dream or you'll die.
7. I believe God has more blessings for us than we even dare to ask for.
8. I believe God wants to bless us with all of those things, but he's waiting for us to ask.
9. I believe in black pens.
10. I believe some obsessions are healthy.
11. I believe people should sing at the top of their lungs, even if they can't carry a tune.
12. I believe everyone has the right and privilege to be happy.
13. I believe writing frees the soul and the mind.
14. I believe chocolate can solve some problems.
15. I believe a heart can be broken and grow back stronger than before.
16. I believe that the closest place to a heaven in this world is on a sandy beach in Washington state.
17. I believe acrylic gel medium is my best friend.
18. I believe crying can sometimes lead to the clearest thinking.
19. I believe in love.
20. I believe that we appreciate what we have only after its absence.
21. I believe you should make friends wherever you go.
22. I believe wishes come true.
23. I believe miracles do happen.
24. I believe my children will be smarter than I am.
25. I believe you must go out, search, and find your bliss.
26. I believe all people are created equally.
27. I believe there won't be a time during my life where all people are treated equally.
28. I believe you don't have to be able to draw to create a work of art.
29. I believe in God.
30. I believe that we are all children of God and that he loves us all.
So, what do you believe?