Friday, September 13, 2013

I tried it from Pinterest! Apple Chips

I saw this lovely--and easy looking--recipe on making apple chips, so I thought I'd try it. At about 8 o'clock at night. On a Sunday. When I have to be up at 5 in the morning to get to work.

I, too, used a mandolin. It was the first time I've used one. It was easier than I thought it would be.


My apple slices aren't pretty because I decided to core them. Yeah. That was more work than it was worth. My second apple I didn't core. They were fine.


You put the lovely apple slices (mine aren't so lovely, remember, because they're cored) on a sheet of parchment paper on your cookie sheet and sprinkle the apple slices with sugar and cinnamon.


I guess you could mix the sugar and cinnamon together before you sprinkle it on the apples. I didn't. Because I didn't even bother to look at the recipe to begin with. I was just going by the PICTURES of the pin. 

Please DO NOT do that. Please read the recipe. Because, boy, was I surprised when I finally did.

Have you ever done this? You read the recipe (or not even the recipe but comments on the pin), and you misread the time? Yeah. I misread it. The comment said "1 hour." I thought it said 1/2 hour. So after a half hour, I opened the oven and they were very, very not cooked. That's when I finally looked at the original recipe. 

The time wasn't a 1/2 hour. 

The time wasn't 1 hour.

The time was 2 hours. 

Argh!

So, I set the timer for another 1/2 hour. Flipped them. They were still floppy. Floppy flipping. (Love that alliteration!) Then I put them in for another hour and read and gave feedback on a short story my husband had written for his creative writing class. 

And here's the final product:

These weren't very pretty at all. And there may be a couple missing here. And, because I only have one cookie sheet (there may be another one out in my garage; but I haven't seen it since we moved 4 years ago) I only did one apple. 

2 hours for this many apple chips? Well, they were tasty. I know. I had them for dinner the next night. 

The next time I make them, I'll do it during the day and not when it's bedtime. And I'll use another cookie sheet as well. And I'll probably put more apple slices on a single cookie sheet. 

So I learned a lot. And hopefully you won't make the same silly mistakes I did. 

Have you tried a craft/recipe/beauty tip/anything from Pinterest recently? Please share! :)

Have an amazing weekend!

Andria

No comments: