Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 in Books: Part 1

(My companions on Halloween night--Bella the cat and GONE GIRL)

According to my 2014 bookshelf on Goodreads, I read 104 books this year. Whoa.

This is the first year that I've tracked what I've read for an entire year and it's been kind of fun. And informative too. 

This year I read:

  • 20 Young Adult novels (this is probably way down from my YA consumption of the last several years).
  • 14 nonfiction books--mostly memoirs (nonfiction is not what I generally read, but I've been in the mood this year)
  • 48 fluffy romances (I've never been shy of admitting that enjoy romance novels; they're like cotton candy for the brain)
The rest of the books I read were a combination of genres. Some of my favorites have been the following:

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James--A ghost story with a touch of romance set in England after World War I. I then devoured St. James' other published works, but I liked this one the best.

How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny--This is #9 in Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache books. I have never read any of the others, but I'll be coming back for more.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill--It's been so many years since I've read an adult horror novel, not because I don't like them, but because I dislike sleeping with the light on. But this one was worth it. 

The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns by Margaret Dilloway--Again, this is another kind of book that I don't usually read but have been absorbed by a lot this year. One thing I enjoyed about this book is that the protagonist is as prickly as her roses. 

The Wishing Thread by Lisa Van Allen--I can't help but love a novel with magical realism set in the environs of Sleepy Hollow. 

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin--This is another genre I don't spend as much time with as I did as a kid--high fantasy. But this one sucked me in and kept me going until the very end. 

I'll be doing a few more posts with my favorites from the other categories I read in 2014, but until then have you seen Huffington Post's The Best Books of 2014? Have you read any and would you recommend them? Or is there something else you would recommend? 



No comments: