Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Camping in your living room

My kids love when I let them get out their sleeping bags and "camp" in the family room. Almost always, they end up in their own beds before morning, but they can barely contain their joy when I tell them that, yes, they can have a campout in the family room.

In those moments, I am the best mom ever!

I remember the times when my mom let us sleep outside on the trampoline. We only did it once or twice, but we were so excited when we did. We were having an adventure. And it took place within the safe confines of our yard and a few dozen steps from a flushing toilet.

Since my last post, more than one person has pointed out to me that I am at the start of my own adventure. Amy, just this morning, reminded me that, just because I'm not moving or quitting my job, doesn't mean that I'm not on the verge of something new and exciting. And my MOM commented on my last post reminding me of that same adventure as I start at Vermont College in July.

That forced me to look at my life and really see my new adventure, my new "Once upon a time" as Nicole likes to call it. So, maybe I'm not camping in some awesome place like Yellowstone or, I don't know, Hawaii. But I am going to have an awesome time while I camp in my own backyard (or, actually, on my bed with the door shut and locked, a sign that says, "Mom at work. Do not disturb," taped to the door) and going on a couple of sleepovers (across the country).

Maybe I'll get myself an Indiana Jones-style hat to remind myself that I, too, am having an adventure.

4 comments:

amanda jolley said...

I almost commented several times on your last post. I wanted to say that your life is an adventure. And that it is good to grieve the physical absence of your friends.
There. I said it.
Love you, friend.

orangemily said...

Wahoo!

HeidiPie said...

Definitely! I love your post.

Nicole said...

Your kids would love our house right now-since we are quite literally camping out in our own house. Air mattresses and cold cereal in paper bowls. At least we get to forgo the outhouses and lack of showers on this particular camping adventure. :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the thought that you can have an adventure without even leaving home. I know it's true but sometimes forget. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Side note-I still remember the tape you sent me (college? your mission? don't remember that part....) Where you played the Indiana Jones theme song while telling me all about your adventures. I see a common theme in your life..... :)