I learned from making art.
1. Art is messy. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.
2. If you screw up on something, don't toss it. Try and cover up the mistake with a button or a paper flower. You might find that you like it better anyway.
3. Look for materials wherever you go. You can find inspiration in the most unexpected places and at the most unexpected times.
4. You'll be inspired to work as you work, not as you're looking at pictures of others' works on Flickr (although that is certainly fun).
5. It is possible to let art overtake your life and your home. And, again, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Where have you learned the important lessons in your life? Blog about it and then let me know. I'd love to read your important lessons.
And if you've never read Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (which inspired my five lessons), I hope you'll take a couple of minutes and read it.