Monday, April 26, 2010

Let's Debrief

My mini-writing retreat with myself went so well! As stated last week, I had TSH drive me up to Park City Friday after school. I stayed at the hotel that night and ate dinner at the Bar/Grille before going back to my room and writing. By 8:00 PM, I was halfway through my word goal.

The next morning, I woke up early, thanks to waking up early every other day of the week, so I got up and started writing some more. I walked several blocks to a bagel shop where I had some breakfast, walked back to the hotel, and finished writing before 11 o'clock, so I had p.l.e.n.t.y. of time to learn how to use the bus, go shopping, eat lunch, and go shopping some more.

In all, I wrote 4858 words, 2010 on my novel with the working title of The Quest and the remaining words were in the other book I've been writing, Robinella.

It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't have one or more of the following things to distract you:
  • Your children
  • Your husband
  • Your children and your husband arguing about bedtime
  • The kitchen floor which is calling out to be mopped
  • The curriculum for the art journaling class you're teaching in May
  • The books that are piled up in your bedroom which: a. need to be put away and/or b. need to be read
  • The cat who seems to think that your writing time is when she should be biting your face off

It brought me to this conclusion:

When I get to the point that I'm writing full-time, I really need a place to write that is not in my home. So, does anyone have a room they'd like to rent me? You know, when I'm famous?

5 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Well, when you're famous, you'll have the multimillion dollar home in Washington. Just take a trip there every weekend. :)

HeidiPie said...

You got a lot done!! You'll have to do that again soon so I can read you book soon.

Liza said...

I laughed out loud at the cat biting your face off. I now put our cat down in our (finished, comfy basement) while I'm writing. Otherwise, she gets snippy with me.

orangemily said...

Way to go! Some days I wonder if I'll get anything don with all the distractions.
You can rent our basement apartment as your studio space.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh my word, always the distractions! I think sometimes I will go mad with them. But they are, of course, also the source of my inspiration. So, I suppose I'll learn to live with it. :) But once you're writing full time, and all rich and famous and stuff, just build yourself a little house on your massive property and you'll still have an office at your home ;)