- Mary Louise wasn't quite sure how she ended up stranded on a deserted highway in the middle of known zombie territory, but she did know she didn't want to become someone's meal.
- "Why do you think it's okay to call me up at 3 AM, Julie?"
- The stink from the lake made my stomach turn, and I wished that I hadn't caved in when Pepper offered me that fourth corndog at the fair.
- "There!" he shouted, pointing to an insignificant dot on the world map.
- "I didn't say, 'Liberian.' I said, 'Librarian!'" (An homage to this blog post.)
- She stood between the two teenaged boys, one dark like molasses, the other with honey skin, and pretended she wasn't afraid of either one of them.
- Peter had crazy Einstein hair and Carrie had the feeling he was channeling more than the scientist's 'do.
- Her hands flitted through the air, butterflies on the wrist of the flamenco dancer. (Yet another homage to another blog post.)
- The monkey stood on his stump, hooting and hollering, and Jane had the strangest feeling that she was watching C-Span.
- The Skittles-colored map lay in front of her as she planned her journey home.
So, which one of these first lines would you like to see, or read, as a longer piece? Vote on one (you can just put the first two words of the post in your comment). Who knows, your vote might influence my next novel (you know, when I finish the other two I'm currently writing).
Here's the giveaway. Tonight I made little "writer's kits" for my last creative writing class. They're not really fancy, but they're a little funny and they have some chocolate in them. I'll post one next week when I announce the winner of the giveaway.